Centre of Modern and Contemporary Art
Situated in Piazza Cesare Battisti, the Centre of Modern and Contemporary Art (CAMeC) houses both the works from the historic civic collections, and the art collections donated to the Borough of La Spezia by Giorgio Cozzani and Ferruccio Battolini. The Civic Collections consist of about 600 paintings, the fundamental works being the series of 19th century paintings, mainly by Fossati, Valle and Pontremoli, which are not on show here.
These refined view-painters from the second half of the century documented the historical development of the town and its surrounding territory. Other important works are those connected to the Gulf Award, an institution set up by Marinetti in 1933 and repeated successfully throughout the period 1949-1965, then from 2000 on. The main protagonists of the Italian art scene participated in this award, which validly reflected the abstract vs figurative debate dominating the immediate post-war period.
The Cozzani collection instead consists of about 900 works, paintings, drawings and graphic artworks, with particular attention to Expressionism and the various historical avant-garde movements, including the new trends. Adding to the already prestigious collections, the art critic Ferruccio Battolini also donated his collection of contemporary artists, consisting of about 500 works.
Besides managing the permanent collections, which are exhibited in rotation, the Museum also hosts important exhibitions and meetings, and is a large laboratory for contemporary art, with teaching/learning activities, onsite restoration, conferences and study groups.